Announcing the NEW Paint Grand Traverse 2020!
We are thrilled to announce that we've re-imagined Paint Grand Traverse 2020 as a hybrid in-person and online event, and we're looking forward to connecting talented plein air painters, art fans, and collectors this August!
We're calling it Paint Grand Traverse 2020: Virtually Beautiful, and it will include many of the things you love about PGT, adapted for the current public health situation:
- Artists will spend a beautiful weekend painting in downtown Traverse City and Old Mission Peninsula.
- Online shoppers will get the first choice of paintings, August 10-16.
- An in-person exhibit and sale will run August 17-September 12 in the Carnegie Gallery at Crooked Tree Arts Center - Traverse City (with health and safety measures in place!)
Paint Grand Traverse week will also include:
- A virtual Pint-Sized Paint Out for Kids (details coming soon!)
- Live-streamed awards presentation
- Outdoor painting demonstrations
- ...and more!
Artists: How to Participate
This new event will include artists who were selected for or scored highly on their application to the original PGT, and artists selected through a new, open call! How to apply >>
The Grand Traverse Region
The Grand Traverse region is located in northwest lower Michigan, and is known the world over for its gorgeous scenery, hundreds of miles of Lake Michigan coast, and historic small towns and villages. The largest of these, Traverse City, is nestled on the southern shore of West Grand Traverse Bay, and is home to Crooked Tree Arts Center - Traverse City.
What is Plein Air Painting?
From the French en plein air, or "in open air", plein air artists work outside, in natural lighting conditions, capturing the ephemeral atmospheric and lighting conditions.