A studio landscape workshop for artists working in oils with Paint Grand Traverse featured artist, Kathleen Hudson. Each morning will feature a presentation, full demo, and exercises for students focusing on value & composition. Afternoons will be devoted to one-on-one instruction.
Points of study will include:
- Seeing as an artist: seeing shapes, value shifts, and color temperatures
- Planning your painting: envisioning your painting, using varied reference material, honing value and design, doing color studies
- Design: Cloud-heavy compositions allow for a lot of artistic license in design, so we’ll look at different types of directional movement that give a cloudscape dynamism.
- Stages of studio painting: drawing, block-in, color mixing, approaches to working a larger painting, refining texture & edges, tools for self-critique
- Experimentation: exercises you can do at home to continue your growth as an artist
One-on-one instruction will be individually tailored. Students are encouraged to email several cloudscape painting examples beforehand and list some specific things they would like to work on. A 40-page workshop handbook is included in the tuition.