The Crooked Tree Arts Center in Traverse City, Michigan, seeks artists for the national plein air painting festival, Paint Grand Traverse: a plein air affair, now in its third year. Paint Grand Traverse is a week-long plein air (outdoor) painting festival and competition featuring 36 artists from across the country. The dates for this year’s festival are August 8 - 15, 2020.
The Grand Traverse region is located in northwest lower Michigan and is known the world over for its gorgeous scenery, hundreds of miles of Lake Michigan coast, and historic small towns and villages. The largest of these, Traverse City, is nestled on the southern shore of West Grand Traverse Bay, and is home to Crooked Tree Arts Center - Traverse City.
Paint Grand Traverse is presented by Crooked Tree Arts Center. Founded in 1971, CTAC is a community-based arts center serving Northern Michigan from campuses in Traverse City and Petoskey, Michigan. We offer events and classes in visual arts, dance, music, culinary arts, and more. To learn more about Crooked Tree Arts Center, visit us online at www.crookedtree.org.
This call is open to all artists working throughout the United States. All painting media are eligible.
- Submit 5-10 entries online October 28 - December 2, 2019.
- Juror review will take place December 3 - 8, 2019.
- Notification of acceptance will be sent by December 13, 2019.
- Accepted artists must submit a signed letter of agreement by January 9, 2020.
- This opportunity is open to all U.S. residents, 18 years and older.
- Submit 5-10 images of recent plein air artwork, including artwork title, dimensions, medium, and date.
- Artist Bio and C.V.
- Artist Statement
- Link to online portfolio (URL) (optional)
- A team of five jurors, comprised of practicing artists, collectors, and curators, will review all submissions. Top scoring entries will be accepted.
Prizes and Awards:
- Over $15,000 in cash and in-kind prizes, including a $2,500 cash prize for Best in Show.
Terms and Conditions:
- The call is open to all U.S. residents, 18 years and older.
- All painting media are eligible.
- Submissions must be original works of art created by the artist submitting the work.
- Artists may submit five to ten (5-10) images.
- The Crooked Tree Arts Center galleries are sales galleries and works created during the festival must be for sale. Price is set by the artist. The Crooked Tree Arts Center will retain a 40% commission on all sales.
- A non-refundable fee of $35.00 per artist is required for entry (CTAC members $20.00). If you are a current member of Crooked Tree Arts Center, please use the coupon code: MEMBER15 to receive the member discount. Should you have questions about your membership status, or are interested in becoming a member, please call CTAC at (231) 347-4337 or (231) 941-9488. CTAC Artist Guild Members can submit their work free of charge. If you do not have your Guild Membership code, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- See the specific letter of agreement for details.
- Accepted artists must submit a signed letter of agreement by January 9, 2020, in order to participate.
- Submit requested application materials via CallForEntry.org (CaFÉ). Entries must be submitted online via CaFÉ and file formats must meet CaFÉ specifications.
- Jury will be done online.
- Notification will be delivered via email by December 13, 2019.
- Accepted artists must submit a signed letter of agreement by Thursday, January 9, 2020.
First time using CallForEntry.org?
Here is a helpful page about setting up your account, image specifications, etc. HOW TO APPLY TO A CALL FOR ENTRY ON CaFÉ